Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Blessing


18 But Melchisedech the king of Salem, bringing forth bread and wine, for he was the priest of the most high God, 19 Blessed him, and said: Blessed be Abram by the most high God, who created heaven and earth. 20 And blessed be the most high God, by whose protection the enemies are in thy hands. And he gave him the tithes of all.

21 And the king of Sodom said to Abram: Give me the persons, and the rest take to thyself. 22 And he answered him: I lift up my hand to the Lord God the most high, the possessor of heaven and earth, 23 That from the very woof thread unto the shoe latchet, I will not take of any things that are thine, lest thou say I have enriched Abram: 24 Except such things as the young men have eaten, and the shares of the men that came with me, Aner, Escol, and Mambre: these shall take their shares.

1 Now when these things were done, the word of the Lord came to Abram by a vision, saying: Fear not, Abram, I am thy protector, and thy reward exceeding great. 2 And Abram said: Lord God, what wilt thou give me? I shall go without children: and the son of the steward of my house is this Damascus Eliezer. 3 And Abram added: But to me thou hast not given seed: and lo my servant, born in my house, shall be my heir. 4 And immediately the word of the Lord came to him, saying: He shall not be thy heir: but he that shall come out of thy bowels, him shalt thou have for thy heir.

Genesis 14:18-24, 15:1-4

Sometimes in our lives we wonder what we have done to deserve a just reward or find help in an unlikely place. Like an angel in disguise. God does move people to act on our behalf at the right moments in our lives. For Abram it was the king of Salem. When I do these reflections it is not to interprete God's Word but to show how God moves in our lives as well as how we reflect those gone by. How we mirror these stories in our time. Such as today with Abrams timely meeting with the king to help sustain him. We read of stories from people who have mysteriously encountered a stranger at a time when help was needed. Other times it might be friends or family who aid us in a moment God deems we need help. And as always it is by God's providence that mercy is brought to us. Granted there are people who truly are not worthy and are wolves in sheeps clothing, but even then in time God will deliver to them their just reward. We see how faithful Abram is to God and how strongly God moves in Abrams life. Are we faithful to God in this way where we too would receive his beautiful blessings.

No comments: