Saturday, June 21, 2008

Covenant

1 And after he began to be ninety and nine years old, the Lord appeared to him: and said unto him: I am the Almighty God: walk before me, and be perfect. 2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee: and I will multiply thee exceedingly. 3 Abram fell flat on his face. 4 And God said to him: I AM, and my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. 5 Neither shall thy name be called any more Abram: but thou shalt be called Abraham: because I have made thee a father of many nations.

5 "Abram"... in the Hebrew, signifies a high father: but Abraham, the father of the multitude; Sarai signifies my Lady, but Sara absolutely Lady.

6 And I will make thee increase, exceedingly, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. 7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee, and between thy seed after thee in their generations, by a perpetual covenant: to be a God to thee, and to thy seed after thee. 8 And I will give to thee, and to thy seed, the land of thy sojournment, all the land of Chanaan for a perpetual possession, and I will be their God. 9 Again God said to Abraham: And thou therefore shalt keep my covenant, and thy seed after thee in their generations. 10 This is my covenant which you shall observe, between me and you, and thy seed after thee: All the male kind of you shall be circumcised:
Genesis 17:1-10

It's easy to understand how confusing one moment in time can signify something not good and then we begin to read of a pleasant change. What's missing is what we don't read between the lines. Or the sorrow of the participants for what had transpired. There are many gaps and like our own life, parts are missing when one side of a story is told when it involves many others. We judge what we hear without truly knowing what went on with the other half. The gift of God's mercy always shines through doesn't it. One moment we read of one thing that says no good and then next we read of mercy and blessing.

Abram has always been close to God and pretty much did as he asked. But like us we can do that as well and falter in a moment of time and find ourselves forgiven and blessed by God. God showed himself to Abram for a reason, he revealed himself and Abram lived to see him face to face. His name became known and a covenant was made. A covenant that has never been broken. God's plan for Abraham has been shown to us and we will continue to see how wonderful God works in our lives as well as he did in the time of Abraham. God has always kept his covenant with us, it is us who breaks ours with him. All he has asked is to keep his covenant with him. It's not that hard to do.

No comments: