Monday, August 11, 2008

Sons

31 And the Lord seeing that he despised Lia, opened her womb, but her sister remained barren. 32 And she conceived and bore a son, and called his name Ruben, saying: The Lord saw my affliction: now my husband will love me. 33 And again she conceived and bore a son, and said: Because the Lord heard that I was despised, he hath given this also to me: and she called his name Simeon. 34 And she conceived the third time, and bore another son: and said: Now also my husband will be joined to me, because I have borne him three sons: and therefore she called his name Levi. 35 The fourth time she conceived and bore a son, and said: now will I praise the Lord: and for this she called him Juda. And she left bearing.

1 And Rachel, seeing herself without children, envied her sister, and said to her husband: Give me children, otherwise I shall die. 2 And Jacob being angry with her, answered: Am I as God, who hath deprived thee of the fruit of thy womb? 3 But she said: I have here my servant Bala: go in unto her, that she may bear upon my knees, and I may have children by her. 4 And she gave him Bala in marriage: who, 5 When her husband had gone in unto her, conceived and bore a son.
Genesis 29:31-35, 30:1-5

No comments: