Friday, May 09, 2008

Tending The Sheep


Jesus had revealed himself to his disciples and eaten breakfast with them,
he said to Simon Peter,
“Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”
Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.”
He then said to Simon Peter a second time,
“Simon, son of John, do you love me?”
Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”
He said to him the third time,
“Simon, son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time,
“Do you love me?” and he said to him,
“Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.
Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger,
you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted;
but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands,
and someone else will dress you
and lead you where you do not want to go.”
He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God.
And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me.”
John 21:15-19

Prayer Reflection

Dear Father how true these words are. There are many circumstances in life when we are often led where we don't want to go. The elderly come to mind in this instance. They are led to homes that are no longer theirs or they are led on a path that leaves them struggling after a lifetime of hard work. On the other hand we also lead children on the wrong path with wrongful living. O dear God, we don't always have our sensibilites as we age. We make decisions that are often selfish because we don't want to take the time to love and care for those who are too young or too old to care for themselves. But it is you we are to follow and when we do that, those choices often are made with you in our heart and love for others. Many times as we grow older and cannot take care of ourselves in the way we would like to, it's difficult to let go of independence and rely on others. For many it is fear to be led to a place that leaves them alone with strangers while family cease to be a source of comfort. Following you enables them to have strength and to conquer the fear of being abandoned. Peter knew that Jesus would not abandon him, nor should we fear this as well.

No comments: