Monday, April 14, 2008

Do You Hear What I Hear

Jesus said:
“I am the good shepherd.
A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
A hired man, who is not a shepherd
and whose sheep are not his own,
sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away,
and the wolf catches and scatters them.
This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep.
I am the good shepherd,
and I know mine and mine know me,
just as the Father knows me and I know the Father;
and I will lay down my life for the sheep.
I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold.
These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice,
and there will be one flock, one shepherd.
This is why the Father loves me,
because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own.
I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again.
This command I have received from my Father.”
John 10:11-18 (NAB)

Prayer Reflection

Dear Father there is much truth to these words spoken by Jesus. It speaks of us in our time as well as two thousand years ago. Yesterday's reading touched upon the gate and listening, today we find how much love Jesus has for us. He gave up his life! The act of love for you dear Father and love for us. Don't we say this to those we love also, that we would die for them. And there are many that would, we have martyrs that did exactly the same, gave their life for Jesus and for us as well. It's possible they were put to the test and answered correctly. Would any of us be able to answer this as well, or is our love superficial. After all, we all say we are God's children and that we all love Jesus, but when he calls us, do we really hear his voice and truly know him. How well do we listen to the Word of God being spoken at our Masses or is our thoughts off on what has to get done when we go home or of the many other things that preoccupy our minds from this world. Is our love more for this world then rather than Jesus and you dear Father? Jesus' love is so great to come in search of those who belong and lost their way. We are one big family why aren't we also helping each other find their way back too.

No comments: