Saturday, May 27, 2006

Be Reconciled

Indeed, if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, how much more, once reconciled, will we be saved by his life. Not only that, but we also boast of God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. Romans 5:10-11

I wonder why people fear the confessional. Is it perhaps because they fear what the Priest will think of them. That's not what they are there for. They are acting in Jesus name. It is not for them to judge another by what they reveal nor should it be.

I've always made it a policy with myself that when a person reveals something to me in confidence, it disappears from my mind. In other words I let it go. I look at the person with the same eyes I saw them with before. It is with this thinking that makes going to confession a joy.

Too often we judge others by what we hear. And when we have an opportunity to speak to them we find out, there is no truth in what we heard. It may not always be that way.

In this reading we are called to reconcile ourselves to God, through his Son. We have fallen away from reconciliation. We have fallen away from the Sacrament of Penance. This is what the Sacrament is for, to reconnect us to a loving God. It is to wash away the grime we have acquired. He does forgive, when we go with honesty in our hearts.

His word tells us to reconcile, his Mother also asks us to do so. Try it.

No comments: