Monday, July 17, 2006

Can We be Worthy

Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:37-38

It's a blessing to have parents that love us, and we are blessed to love them in return. It is a good thing.

Today we are told anyone who loves the others more is not worthy of him. Well he is right. Since Jesus and God are one, and one of the commandments is to love God first with all your heart, mind, body and soul. So how can we be worthy when we love others first and only them.

I love my parents and they love me, but we love God first and foremost. This is something my parents have taught us as children. God is first, we come second. Same when we marry, our spouses we love, but God will always come first.

And when we put others and everything else first then we have lost. To understand this you need to put God first in your thoughts always. Not what you want or need, but truly place God's will and need first.

When we think putting everyone after God short changes them in the department of love and attention, think again. God gives us so much abundant love to share with others when we place it in the first place with Him. Love of neighbor then is our reward.


This is taking up our cross and following Christ. Can we then become worthy? Take up the gauntlet and put God first in the love department. You will be amazed at the love for others that you will have after.

No comments: