Saturday, September 16, 2006

Memorial of Saint Cornelius, pope and martyr, and Saint Cyprian, bishop and martyr

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' but not do what I command? I will show you what someone is like who comes to me, listens to my words, and acts on them.That one is like a man building a house, who dug deeply and laid the foundation on rock; when the flood came, the river burst against that house but could not shake it because it had been well built. But the one who listens and does not act is like a person who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the river burst against it, it collapsed at once and was completely destroyed."
Luke 6:47-49

Reflection:
When I was a kid, I used to think Jesus was talking about an actual house. Even in homilies I didn't get it, I would still think it had to do with the foundation of a building. It was until so much later in my life that I began to see God and His Word in a new light.

When I read today's Gospel, the last few years hit home in a big way. Through my life I have built my faith, and kept storing my treasures, along the way as with the weather, we encounter storms. In those storms of tumult, decides how well our house is built. If the foundation that was built with weak faith, then some would very easily crumble under the onslaught of trouble. You know, such as I hate you God for all the trouble that is in our lives can very easily come to our thoughts when life does not flow smoothly.

When I had my own personal encounter with God, and what has followed since, I could have easily done the same thing, but the faith that was built along the way kept my heart secure to a very loving God. So when waves of tumult came my way, my faith became much stronger upon the rock that it was built.

Nothing in this life is easy, but when we have faith and love in God those little tumultuous moments are brief. They are small squalls of weather not huge ones. Strengthen your faith, build it on rock so that when you encounter storms that seem to shake up your life you will be able to stand secure in faith.

God is the rock we build our houses upon, he is where we build our faith.

No comments: