Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Feast of Saint Luke

Whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace to this household.' If a peaceful person lives there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you. Luke 10:5-6

Reflection:
They were asked to say this upon entering each household "Peace to this household," for a reason. They were after all out there in hopes of gathering a harvest. A harvest we know of today about vocations to the religious life.

But what was it about first saying peace to this household, and if a peaceful person lives there, your peace will rest on him, but if not it will return to you. How often do we visit places and say this ourselves, or even think it. I know I haven't, except once and that was recent.

There is something to this, because too many households lack any peace. Imagine if we all paid visits and did this, how peace could be attached to those households. And if not it would come back to us. What a blessing we would be doing.

I was just thinking about something, how at times when visiting I came upon tension unknowing that I just missed an argument, how giving peace to a household would somehow clear the air of bad feelings. And peace would be felt. Now that I think about this, if I truly did my part in following the Gospel I would be doing this all the time.Yet I just started with this not long ago.You know something, it does make a difference.

No comments: