Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Martha or Mary

Jesus entered a village
where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him.
She had a sister named Mary
who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak.
Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said,
"Lord, do you not care
that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving?
Tell her to help me."
The Lord said to her in reply,
"Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.
There is need of only one thing.
Mary has chosen the better part
and it will not be taken from her."
Luke 10:38-42

Reflection:
In that moment of time Mary chose the very best, to be seated at the feet of our Lord. Because of this it irked her sister Martha, who was overburdened with serving.

I can't help but be reminded of times when I too thought I was overburdened, and did the same as Martha. Only thing about this, it was complaining or whining about stupid stuff. I have often caught myself during the years whenever complaints would form to squelch them, because I was reminded of this lesson from the Word of God.
It just seemed to me that preferring listening to what Jesus had to say was far more important and beneficial for my well being, rather than complain to him that I wasn't getting what I thought I needed at the time. We do complain to Jesus so very much, without thought. Why, why, why seems to be the biggest question we pose to him. Why not send us help, we need it Lord. Why did you have to take this one and not that one. Why, why, why. We are like Martha too.

But when we read the first reading about Paul's conversion, we will understand when our hearts are brought back to God's how very much God delights in us when we listen just as Mary has done in the Gospel passage, she has chosen the better part and it will not be taken away from her.

When we take the time to sit at Jesus feet and listen to him we too then will have chosen the better part, and it will not be taken away from us. We have this when we sit with Him in the Blessed Sacrament. When we sit at his feet and listen.

No comments: