Saturday, November 18, 2006

Farewell to a Good Man

Merico "Pope" Petrolati

Passed from this life on November 15, 2006, at a very young age of 93.

Today, I give tribute to this fine man whom I have known most of my life. When I was a kid I used to bring him apple pies or apple crisps, that my mom would make. There never was a day that he didn't say hello to someone passing by.

Some of the memories I recall are the many times I would see him at mass in the morning. He was a shining example of faith in action. Like I said he spoke to everyone.

When we went to the wake last night, out of support to his two sons one of whom I went to school with. It was to encounter a huge line that went around the parking lot. And this line began before calling hours.

He was fondly called "Pope" by all who knew him. His store was called Popes Paint and Hardware. Pope was definitely a good man, he will be missed by many. But not as much as by his family. My heart goes out to them this day. It was nice to see the many people who came to give support to the Petrolati Family at the Mass that was celebrated.

In God's infinite mercy, may the soul of "Pope" rest in peace.

No comments: