Sunday, November 26, 2006

Rushing Water

I, John, looked and there was the Lamb standing on Mount Zion,
and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand
who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads.
I heard a sound from heaven
like the sound of rushing water or a loud peal of thunder.
The sound I heard was like that of harpists playing their harps.
They were singing what seemed to be a new hymn before the throne,
before the four living creatures and the elders.
No one could learn this hymn except the hundred and forty-four thousand
who had been ransomed from the earth.
These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever he goes.
They have been ransomed as the first fruits
of the human race for God and the Lamb.
On their lips no deceit has been found; they are unblemished.
Revelation 14:1-3, 4b-5

Reflection:
At some point in everyone's life they must have heard the sound of rushing water. It almost sounds musical doesn't it. A few weeks ago when I took my walk in the woods, there is a spot I stand and look off into the distance, pretty much looking through the trees, up at the sky, all around and basking in the silent moments with God.

One day when I was there I didn't hear the distant cars, what I heard was the brook trickling down from the beavers dam. As I stood there I was in awe of God, because I never really heard the brook quite in this way.

Yet on that day and every day since, it has a beautiful sound. Now I can say that following the Lamb does have it's benefits, because everything in our life becomes intense in nature. When he chooses to purify us and we continue to love and follow him, the treasure we see and hear is beyond all that is of this earth. We begin to understand his Words in a new way.

Like the brook of rushing water and how it feeds life, just as water flows from the throne of God to quench us. We were freed from sin at our Baptism with water. It brings life, when it rushes by it's sound is heavenly.

That's why John was able to reveal the truth of what was shown him. And those chosen to sing a hymn of unending joy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this

In Jesus
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow! I wrote about water yesterday :)

I'm trying to get round all the blogs I link to to say hi this morning! Have a great day!

Marie Cecile said...

Your welcome Maria.

And awesome autumnrose, what a nice way to start the day too.