Sunday, July 01, 2007

Follow Me

When the days for Jesus’ being taken up were fulfilled,
he resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem,
and he sent messengers ahead of him.
On the way they entered a Samaritan village
to prepare for his reception there,
but they would not welcome him
because the destination of his journey was Jerusalem.
When the disciples James and John saw this they asked,
“Lord, do you want us to call down fire from heaven
to consume them?”
Jesus turned and rebuked them, and they journeyed to another village.

As they were proceeding on their journey someone said to him,
“I will follow you wherever you go.”
Jesus answered him,
“Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests,
but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.”

And to another he said, “Follow me.”
But he replied, “Lord, let me go first and bury my father.”
But he answered him, “Let the dead bury their dead.
But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
And another said, “I will follow you, Lord,
but first let me say farewell to my family at home.”
To him Jesus said, “No one who sets a hand to the plow
and looks to what was left behind is fit for the kingdom of God.”

Luke 9:51-62

Prayer

Dear Father we are given much to contemplate on. We are asked to "Follow me" by Jesus, and is our reply like those we read of. Can we when we are called by Jesus leave what we are doing and follow him at that moment. Do we often look back at what was instead of what is in the now. Jesus gave them something to think about just as much as we have something to think about. The family was a major concern, but is it physically leaving them or is it mentally. We are asked to love God first, that means loving everything else after him. Following Jesus is the same, it's putting him and the kingdom of God first before family, before ourselves and our needs. He calls my heart to follow him and I respond, Yes Lord. All thought of those around me are gone in that moment when he speaks to my heart. May we follow you dear Jesus when you call us. May we respond instantly with a Yes and do your will. Not looking back or making excuses for why in that moment we can't do what you asked. Jesus touch our hearts to respond to your heavenly call. Amen

No comments: