Saturday, July 28, 2007

Weeds

24Another parable he proposed to them, saying: The kingdom of heaven is likened to a man that sowed good seeds in his field.
25But while men were asleep, his enemy came and oversowed cockle among the wheat and went his way.
26And when the blade was sprung up, and had brought forth fruit, then appeared also the cockle.
27And the servants of the goodman of the house coming said to him: Sir, didst thou not sow good seed in thy field? whence then hath it cockle?
28And he said to them: An enemy hath done this. And the servants said to him: Wilt thou that we go and gather it up?
29And he said: No, lest perhaps gathering up the cockle, you root up the wheat also together with it.
30Suffer both to grow until the harvest, and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers: Gather up first the cockle, and bind it into bundles to burn, but the wheat gather ye into my barn.
Matthew 13:24-30 (Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition)

Prayer

Dear Father we know there is good and evil and sometimes even in us we are both. Jesus gave us something great to think about. It had me thinking about my garden and when I pull up the weeds around the plants that are ripe with fruit. How I disturb the roots and cause the plant to suffer. At least for me, when I weed I am not graceful about it, I go all out to yank out the offending weed. In my desire to rid the area of weeds I also pulled up the plant. Luckily it was strong enough to survive the onslaught, but one or two were not. But what does the parable have to do with weeds and what is the message he gives. One way could be about sin within us and how we let it grow until we are overcome with it and with faith we strive to combat the sin. Confession is often our means of rooting out the weeds that choke out the life of God within. It is when we find love of God that we come to harvest and completely remove and destroy what took us away from God in the first place. Dear Father you sent us your Son to water and fertilize our gardens, the garden of our soul. When we are ready he will harvest what he has planted and took loving care to make sure we will be separated from the sins of our life. Amen

No comments: