Friday, August 24, 2007

Come and See

Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith to him: We have found him of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets did write, Jesus the son of Joseph of Nazareth.

And Nathanael said to him: Can any thing of good come from Nazareth? Philip saith to him: Come and see. Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him: and he saith of him: Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no guile. Nathanael saith to him: Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered, and said to him: Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. Nathanael answered him, and said: Rabbi, thou art the Son of God, thou art the King of Israel. Jesus answered, and said to him: Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, thou believest: greater things than these shalt thou see.

And he saith to him: Amen, amen I say to you, you shall see the heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

John 1:45-51 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father how I am reminded of our relationship with acquaintances when we speak of our faith. How some are like Nathanael and say what good can come from the Catholic Church. But we fail to reply as Philip had, come and see. How often I have failed to do this very thing myself without thought to the Gospel in replying to those who do not believe in the Catholic Church. In order for them to witness what Jesus had said the very words at the end of this Gospel, "And he saith to him: Amen, amen I say to you, you shall see the heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man." The Eucharist in all it's glory where he descends to become the bread of life. No mere bread, but the heart and soul of our Lord. Dear Father may I come to share and offer to another who seeks faith to come and see for themselves the very life of the Church you have blessed with your presence for all time. May I live the Gospel as I do your will and come to share the beauty of your love. Amen <>

No comments: