Sunday, August 05, 2007

Inheritance

And one of the multitude said to him: Master, speak to my brother that he divide the inheritance with me. But he said to him: Man, who hath appointed me judge, or divider, over you? And he said to them: Take heed and beware of all covetousness; for a man's life doth not consist in the abundance of things which he possesseth.

And he spoke a similitude to them, saying: The land of a certain rich man brought forth plenty of fruits. And he thought within himself, saying: What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said: This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and will build greater; and into them will I gather all things that are grown to me, and my goods. And I will say to my soul: Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years take thy rest; eat, drink, make good cheer. But God said to him: Thou fool, this night do they require thy soul of thee: and whose shall those things be which thou hast provided?
So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich towards God

Luke 12:13-21 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father it is what I store up in my heart that matters the most, love for you. Everything else is nothing but goods that are used while living in this life, but useless once I'm gone. Some of us have no one to give it all to and some have more than they have to give. We collect so much in our lifetime to give to those who are left behind when we go to our eternal resting place. But what we truly leave behind are the sentiments of our life that we recall the most, not so much the material possessions. What we often do is speak about how that person was in life, the good and the bad. These are the treasures that are passed on to those we have left behind. What have I done in my life that has stored up treasure in heaven and on earth that proclaim the goodness of our Lord. Have I lived my life sharing my love with others and letting God's light shine for them. How much more I gather for the kingdom of God when I give love instead of hatred. Dear Father may we come to know the true treasure you seek from us, that of love. Not to be kept to ourselves and hidden but shared by all.

No comments: