Friday, September 07, 2007

Old and New

And they said to him: Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and the disciples of the Pharisees in like manner; but thine eat and drink? To whom he said: Can you make the children of the bridegroom fast, whilst the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, then shall they fast in those days.

And he spoke also a similitude to them: That no man putteth a piece from a new garment upon an old garment; otherwise he both rendeth the new, and the piece taken from the new agreeth not with the old. And no man putteth new wine into old bottle: otherwise the new wine will break the bottles, and it will be spilled, and the bottles will be lost. But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved. And no man drinking old, hath presently a mind to new: for he saith, The old is better.
Luke 5:33-39 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father how I have changed by your gracious hand, where I fast in preparation for the coming of your Son. You poured new wine into my life and I removed the obstacles that block the path to you. I gave up many worldly things to focus upon you and to keep my heart ready. I never knew how much more life is beautiful until you. It's not in the things we have that we find you, it's in the heart free from what possessed us and held us away. The evil that binds us to earth. Oh dear Father may my fasting of worldly goods and pleasures bring an abundance of fruit in my life where I am filled with the wine of grace. I thank you for restoring me to life and letting me live forever in your love. Amen

No comments: