Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Readying the Banquet Table

Let your loins be girt, and lamps burning in your hands. And you yourselves like to men who wait for their lord, when he shall return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open to him immediately. Blessed are those servants, whom the Lord when he cometh, shall find watching. Amen I say to you, that he will gird himself, and make them sit down to meat, and passing will minister unto them. And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
Luke 12:35-38 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father should I let my faith slip and grow lax, then it is I who suffer the consequences. Then I would not be prepared for your coming. What must I do then? Is attending Mass enough or must I do more? Do I know the answer to this question, of course I do. Cleansing the inside of me as well as the outside helps. Confession makes a big difference when I haven't gone in a long time. This allows you to come shining through me, until then I would only see darkness. Have I set the table with finery in preparation for the banquet. In this regard of finery it is prayer and have I polished it so it will shine in the darkness. Or do I just pray when the need arises? So how can I say I am prepared when I don't pray throughout the day or use the sacrament of penance or for that matter attend Mass on a regular basis where I hear your Word and receive you in the Eucharist to keep the light inside me from going out. It's all essential to do in order to be prepared and I know it's difficult just as keeping our own homes clean can be. Dear Father help me to prepare and keep that light inside of me burning bright. May I be vigilant for your coming and let me be ready and not asleep at the table I was preparing. Amen

No comments: