Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Memorial of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

As they were hearing these things, he added and spoke a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately be manifested.

He said therefore: A certain nobleman went into a far country, to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. And calling his ten servants, he gave them ten pounds, and said to them: Trade till I come. But his citizens hated him: and they sent an embassage after him, saying: We will not have this man to reign over us. And it came to pass, that he returned, having received the kingdom: and he commanded his servants to be called, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. And the first came, saying: Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds. And he said to him: Well done, thou good servant, because thou hast been faithful in a little, thou shalt have power over ten cities. And the second came, saying: Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds. And he said to him: Be thou also over five cities. And another came, saying: Lord, behold here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin; For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up what thou didst not lay down, and thou reapest that which thou didst not sow. He saith to him: Out of thy own mouth I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up what I laid not down, and reaping that which I did not sow: And why then didst thou not give my money into the bank, that at my coming, I might have exacted it with usury? And he said to them that stood by: Take the pound away from him, and give it to him that hath ten pounds. And they said to him: Lord, he hath ten pounds. But I say to you, that to every one that hath shall be given, and he shall abound: and from him that hath not, even that which he hath, shall be taken from him. But as for those my enemies, who would not have me reign over them, bring them hither, and kill them before me. And having said these things, he went before, going up to Jerusalem.
Luke 19:11-28 (Douay-Rheims Bible)

Prayer

Dear Father we live in an age where we rely on the goods of the earth rather than on you. We place most of our trust in the dollar and what it can buy. When you see the interior of our heart and see the fear of loosing what we gained, we find our life in a struggle, it is then it is slowly taken away from us. Why? Was it the part of trusting in money and not you? I look upon my own life then and the ups and downs and how I took care of what you gave. I found myself on the edge of nothing all because of my fear of you and your judgement. Yet you bless me in beautiful ways. You gave me so much more of other things, most especially love in return for the love I gave you. That is a return in abundance, and it's far greater than any money I could ever have. Now that's the blessing of all blessings. Amen

No comments: