Monday, December 03, 2007

Worthy?

Memorial of Saint Francis Xavier, priest


And when he had entered into Capharnaum, there came to him a centurion, beseeching him, And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, and is grieviously tormented. And Jesus saith to him: I will come and heal him. And the centurion making answer, said: Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldst enter under my roof: but only say the word, and my servant shall be healed. For I also am a man subject to authority, having under me soldiers; and I say to this, Go, and he goeth, and to another, Come, and he cometh, and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. And Jesus hearing this, marvelled; and said to them that followed him: Amen I say to you, I have not found so great faith in Israel. And I say to you that many shall come from the east and the west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven:
Matthew 8:5-11 (Douay-Rheims Bible)

Prayer Reflection

Dear Father what an example of faith you have given us in this account of the centurion. He sought healing for another even though that person was a servant, that servant had worth in the life of the centurion. His humble response to Jesus brought healing. Jesus is so right, such faith! How often I too go to you dear Father with this same sentiment in mind when I go to receive your Son, but fail to have the faith like this centurion. Have I humbled myself and removed much to attain the faith that will make me worthy to be healed from a distance. Can I pray for another in such a way that will bring healing to them also from a distance. After all dear Father, it is this great faith that brings you to us and restores life to our parched and arid lives. May I contemplate the faith of the centurion and come to a better understanding of how worthy I can be in your eyes. Amen

No comments: