Saturday, January 12, 2008

Decrease for Increase of Jesus

After these things Jesus and his disciples came into the land of Judea: and there he abode with them, and baptized. And John also was baptizing in Ennon near Salim; because there was much water there; and they came and were baptized. For John was not yet cast into prison. And there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews concerning purification: And they came to John, and said to him: Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond the Jordan, to whom thou gavest testimony, behold he baptizeth, and all men come to him. John answered, and said: A man cannot receive any thing, unless it be given him from heaven. You yourselves do bear me witness, that I said, I am not Christ, but that I am sent before him. He that hath the bride, is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, who standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth with joy because of the bridegroom's voice. This my joy therefore is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease.
John 3:22-30 (Douay-Rheims Bible)

Prayer Reflection

Dear Father what a beautiful way to know that when Jesus is with us and part of us we must decrease while he increases. How true your disciple John spoke of the bride and the bridegroom, his joy was fulfilled. And so too ours when we place your Son in our lives and let Him increase while our desires decrease. We too will will find joy then. We have your Word to live by and the testimony of the many who lived and witnessed the divinity of Jesus for us to know you. What true words have been spoken and I for one realize the truth of them. How in my faith, Jesus becomes ever greater and more present in my life, this is increase and also that of doing your will. While my wants and desires for what this life can give decreases. I must become small while your Son becomes great in my life. I am not important but He is. And this is as it should be. After all, you do take care of us and our needs, not our wants but what is needed in our life and faith is the greatest need for many to come to know and love you so they too can decrease while your Son increases in their lives. Amen

No comments: