Thursday, April 17, 2008

Who is standing in for Jesus

When Jesus had washed the disciples’ feet, he said to them:
“Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master
nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him.
If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it.
I am not speaking of all of you.
I know those whom I have chosen.
But so that the Scripture might be fulfilled,
The one who ate my food has raised his heel against me.
From now on I am telling you before it happens,
so that when it happens you may believe that I AM.
Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send
receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.”
John 13:16-20 (NAB)

Prayer Reflection

Dear Father Jesus had a tough time when he found betrayal in one of the ones that were chosen. He knew what was to come and he told them so they would believe. He does that with us too, he gives us snippets of things to show us the Truth of your Word. I was captured by the words Jesus spoke in this Gospel message, "The one who ate my food has raised his heel against me." Don't we do this to Jesus too when we receive communion and go out the doors from his sanctuary and gossip with our neighbors. Or commit sins and fail to reconcile ourselves in the sacrament of Penance. In this sense aren't we doing the same as the one who betrayed Jesus. It's amazing that in our Parishes we have Priest who took on the role to live in imitation of Christ, but many have failed to receive the ones Jesus sends us, they leave and turn their backs on the Church when the Truth is spoken through them. Thinking about the many people who leave parishes because they clash with their pastors, did they understand this Gospel and the last words spoken. Probably not and they also failed to receive Jesus in those moments.

No comments: