Friday, December 16, 2005

Third Friday of Our Advent Journey

He was a burning and shining lamp, and for awhile you were content to rejoice in his light. But I have testimony greater than John's. The works that the Father gave me to accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me. (NAB) John 5:35-36

That is a very strong statement Jesus had given to bear witness to the truth. John's preaching was to prepare the way for Jesus' coming, and Jesus was trying to let John's followers know that he has come, it is now time to follow him. These few words reminded me of our fickleness, on how we follow others when they shine. Such as movie stars, rock stars, the rich and famous, we all seem to flock around them. We make note of their every move that they make. Only difference they are not preaching God's word. I think in a sense Jesus was telling us that no matter whose light shines and we follow, we must remember it is to Him that God sent for us to follow. After all he is "The Way," "The Truth," and "The Life." God sent us his own Son to verify what has been written long ago. It is in following Jesus as the true way to life.

No comments: