Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Beloved, Listen

In todays first reading John was telling us how we should be in order for us to see God.

"Beloved, we are God's children now; what we shall be has not yet been revealed. We do know that when it is revealed we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope based on him makes himself pure, as he is pure." 1 Jn 3:2-3

Do we have this type of hope? Can we change enough to be pure in heart in order to be pure as God is pure? The Apostle John knew of this and wrote about it. There are some who strive to be this way for the sake of God's kingdom, because it is their hope to be as God is. These people are the very Saints we venerate from centuries past, who in their life built their life with the hope of making themselves pure, so they would see God as he is.

In my life I sinned and repented, of my sins. I knew all too well the times I did wrong and did my best to amend my ways. I never understood the reasoning behind my regret, until much later in my life. When we strive to hope to see God and do all we can to keep our hearts pure, by reconciliation, by actual honest repentance, only then is it possible to hope to see God as he is.

When I say honest repentance, I mean to reveal all that is in your heart with absolute honesty. To die of self and give to God what he asks of you, the honesty in your heart. For this to be possible, we need to be honestly sorry for our sins, so that our hearts, minds and souls will be in union, in order for confession to purify us. God loves the Truth, that is why when we are honest in our hearts we are making it pure for him to see him as he is.

One thing I am constantly grateful for is that I'm allowed to see his countenance on a daily basis. When I go to Chapel I see Jesus in the Eucharist, I see his face. It is a blessing for me to know that his love is great, and that I can let people know of his love. For me it is a tremendous gift indeed, because I was a sinner, I lost hope of ever going to heaven when I left this life, yet I was given more than I thought possible. A life lived completely in God, every breath I take breathes of God's goodness.

The Gospel of John is one of deep understanding, one of love for God. Listen well to his words.

No comments: