Saturday, February 25, 2006

Only As A Child

Do we prevent our children from receiving the Word of God? Do we give our children to Jesus, so that Jesus will be in their life? Or do we keep our children in the dark, because we are afraid they will not understand. Yet in today's Gospel Jesus tell us to “Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the Kingdom of God like a child will not enter it.”
There is a twofold statement Jesus gives us, one is to let the children come to Him, the other is who ever does not accept the Kingdom of God like a child will not enter it. First of all the way we live we excluded our children from the benefits of faith. When we choose to live in this world with all that this world can give, to give us so much ease, so much entertainment, we not only rob our children of Jesus but we rob ourselves too.
There was a show I remember that had a good influence on my life when I was a kid. This show was the Ed Sullivan Show. What I remember was how the Entertainers had to be dressed, men wore suits, women wore full dresses that were modest. There was no filthy lewd jokes, no swearing. This was a Family Show, that gave values. I mention this show because I remember the impact of those values. Today when you look at the many programs and movies that are put on for us to see, we are bombarded with violence, sex, flesh, swearing, lack of clothing, all for Entertainment. These are the values we are giving our children today. There is nothing there to teach them about morals, faith, love, kindness.
So when we go out are we dressed in a flaunt your stuff, so our children will, dress like us, act like us. But when they do something such as get pregnant, contract a sexual disease, at a very young age, and we sit there ashamed of our children for the way they have become. Yet we are the one's that they have modeled themselves after. After all, our children mimick us in all we say and do. What we give them for guidance and values is how they perceive all that is around them.
If I had a child I would love more than anything for this child to love God and to follow Jesus all their life. For then I would know in my heart that they are in the very best of hands. But I in this world would have to do my part to ensure that they received a moral upbringing with values about life and all who live in it. Then I can be a part of God's Kingdom as one of His children for I lived my life trusting as a child, that giving my child to Jesus was a trust He sees. God Bless you all with a smile in your heart.

No comments: