Monday, June 12, 2006

The Sermon

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain,
and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him.
He began to teach them.
Matthew 5:1-2


Jesus begins his Sermon on the Mount in this chapter, where he tells his apostles of the Beatitudes. Do we wonder why he went out of his way to speak of the beatitudes to them. To teach the apostles about them. I don't wonder, I think the beatitudes are beautiful. They give you an idea of how you live; what you will attain from following them. Just as loving God is beautiful. When the beatitudes are part of your life, you will understand the beauty of God.

1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Dear Father my spirit is so poor, I still lack the grace to completely acknowledge all that belongs to you, teach me to hand it all over to you.

2. Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. Dear Father, teach me to mourn, for in my sorrow I may be comforted.

3. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. Dear Father, teach me to be like you in all things. That no matter what hardship I may deal with it with meekness.

4. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. Dear Father, teach me to hunger and thirst for what is right in your eyes, that I may say and do your will always.

5. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Dear Father, teach me to suffer gladly, so others may know mercy.

6. Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God. Dear Father, teach me to always cleanse my heart so I may see you always.

7. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Dear Father, teach me to always bring peace to those who are in discord, so I may be a child of God.

8. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Dear Father, teach me to suffer persecution gladly for the sake of righteousness, so I may attain the kingdom of heaven.

These are an awesome and loving gift to help us live a life worthy of God. Don't lose the chance to be a child of God, or to fail to see him. His kingdom is what we should all want daily. God, you are so beautiful, thank you.

No comments: