Monday, July 03, 2006

Feast of Saint Thomas, Apostle

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples said to him, "We have seen the Lord." But Thomas said to them,"Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nail marks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe." Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed." John 20:24-29

Meditation:

What can I say, I can associate with Saint Thomas. I would say the same thing to someone who happened to see someone who you know is dead. But for Thomas he was not there when the others saw Jesus, so for him it is harder to believe. I would think a cruel joke was being played. Would Thomas have doubted had he been there? Would it have been different for him then? It reminds me of a church trying to silence God, by silencing those who know him best. Or playing games with those who believe by toying with them. And when they doubt, the cause is from the leaders. The godless ones, the ones we are warned about. The ones who try to deceive others. Jesus does not deceive, nor does God. When the Church deceives then they follow the evil one.

Thomas was kept away for a purpose by the hand of God, so we too would understand by his witness the truth of the Resurrection. The Divine Son of God. It's not about Thomas doubting but more for the reason, so those who do not see would understand that they are truly blessed because they believe without seeing.

No comments: