Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Healings


She had heard about Jesus and came up behind him in the crowdand touched his cloak. She said, "If I but touch his clothes, I shall be cured." Mark 5:27-28

He took the child by the hand and said to her, "Talitha koum," which means, "Little girl, I say to you, arise!" The girl, a child of twelve, arose immediately and walked around. At that they were utterly astounded. Mark 5:41-42

Meditation:

Today we read of an account with a woman who touches the robe of Jesus, who has suffered twelve long years. And then we read of a twelve year old who died, and is brought back to life.

The first one is by faith, if only I could just touch his garment I would be healed. And his power to heal is amazing even through his clothes. He knew he was touched by someone, yet he seeked from this person something specific. Acknowledgement, or perhaps a simple thank you. After all her faith in the very act of touching just the hem of his robe would heal her. How often do we thank Jesus and acknowledge his loving ways when we too reach out to touch the hem of his robe. Thank you Jesus for each time I receive you in the Eucharist, I not only reach out to touch your hem but I reach out to hold you.

And from there that leads us on to the next part of today's significant miracle, the raising of Jarius' daughter from the dead. He said to him, "Do not be afraid, just have faith." Mark 5:36, and proceeded to go to Jarius' house. Where he said she was just sleeping. He took her hand and said, "Talitha koum," which means, "Little girl, I say to you, arise!" Mark 5:41.
Oh Lord, we too are dead, yet in your eyes we are but asleep. And you also say to us, do not be afraid, just have faith. Faith, the key to life. You give us so much of yourself. And all you want to do is say to us, "Little ones, I say to you, arise!" Shake off the sleep of death, and live. Sin is death, Jesus is life, come follow him, for he is the way. The Healer.

No comments: