Saturday, July 01, 2006

Great Faith

When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion approached him and appealed to him, saying,"Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully." He said to him, "I will come and cure him." The centurion said in reply, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed." Matthew 8:5-8

With great faith the centurion approached Jesus and asked for something for someone under his care. What a truly unselfish act this man has done. He humbled himself for the sake of another. And to let Jesus know that he was not worthy to receive him under his roof. I'm awestruck.

Before we go to communion, we recite these words not as exact as the centurion, but close. How do we place ourselves when we say them, like the centurion? At times do we offer our communion for the healing of another? Is it done in faith? The words the centurion spoke are humbling when you think about it. Are we humble when we say this before we receive the Eucharist, the living bread of life. The source of healing and life. Help my faith, O Lord. So I too may approach you with the faith the centurion had for his servant.

No comments: