Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Our Eyes

All the ways of a man may be right in his own eyes, but it is the LORD who proves hearts. Proverbs 21:2

Reflection:
Having the opportunity to teach young adults the faith brought back to mind when I was their age and going through what they are now. When I read today's reading from proverbs, this one reminded me of the many times when I too thought I was right about many things, to only be proved wrong either by someone else or by the Lord himself.

We don't always see how we truly are, until it is pointed out to us. The same goes when we think we are right. Our hearts are constantly being proved by our Lord daily, it is for us to see his hand in keeping us on the path of salvation.

I remember when I was young and my parents telling us, wait until your older, you will see. This had to do with thinking how very grown up we thought we were then. Every thing we did, said and thought we knew was right and we were the authority on any subject we came across. Blind trust goes a long way when we are young. It's not until much later we see in a different way how wrong we were and how our young minds wanted to be oh so right.

Maybe not all young people experience this, but I know I did and can look back and say how foolish I was in thinking I knew more than I did, when even now I don't know as much as would like.

I have found over the past few years our Lord directing my life and correcting my heart of what I once thought was right in my eyes. I can say how truly foolish I was in my own thinking, but I can say in the same breath how truly grateful for a loving God who can go to such lengths to open my eyes to my own self. I am truly humbled.

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

It's so true, Marie Cecile. I'm always amazed at His patience, and so grateful for it. Some things take me a long time to learn...

Marie Cecile said...

Me too!