Thursday, September 13, 2007

Memorial of Saint John Chrysostom

But I say to you that hear: Love your enemies, do good to them that hate you. Bless them that curse you, and pray for them that calumniate you. And to him that striketh thee on the one cheek, offer also the other. And him that taketh away from thee thy cloak, forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every one that asketh thee, and of him that taketh away thy goods, ask them not again.

And as you would that men should do to you, do you also to them in like manner. And if you love them that love you, what thanks are to you? for sinners also love those that love them. And if you do good to them who do good to you, what thanks are to you? for sinners also do this. And if you lend to them of whom you hope to receive, what thanks are to you? for sinners also lend to sinners, for to receive as much. But love ye your enemies: do good, and lend, hoping for nothing thereby: and your reward shall be great, and you shall be the sons of the Highest; for he is kind to the unthankful, and to the evil.

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you shall be forgiven. Give, and it shall be given to you: good measure and pressed down and shaken together and running over shall they give into your bosom. For with the same measure that you shall mete withal, it shall be measured to you again.
Luke 6:27-38 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father your Son teaches us to love our enemies and we often don't. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies and in that regard we don't love ourselves as you ask of us. I love you dear Father and you taught me to love those who don't care for me. You taught me to give without cost to myself, you taught me not to judge those around me, lest I be judged in return. You taught me the greatest one of all, that of forgiveness. No matter what has happened in the world or in my life, I forgive. One can not go through life holding grudges against those who did no harm to ourselves. It is extending in our hearts the forgiveness of those who can not forgive. Dear Father your Son gave us so much to live by and we often forget how much it costs us when we don't live this way. A life lived in silence and loss of your presence in it. Where we remove you from our hearts. May I live in a way that is pleasing to you dear Father and may I strive to live the examples your Son has taught us. Amen

No comments: