Thursday, October 11, 2007

Asking and Receiving

And he said to them: Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go to him at midnight, and shall say to him: Friend, lend me three loaves,

Because a friend of mine is come off his journey to me, and I have not what to set before him. And he from within should answer, and say: Trouble me not, the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. Yet if he shall continue knocking, I say to you, although he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend; yet, because of his importunity, he will rise, and give him as many as he needeth. And I say to you, Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you. For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.

And which of you, if he ask his father bread, will he give him a stone? or a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he reach him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father from heaven give the good Spirit to them that ask him?
Luke 11:5-13 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father how often I have knocked upon your door seeking your love and guidance. I remember a time where I asked for the Holy Spirit in prayer, kneeling at my bedside with hope in my heart. Did I come to understand that my life would change in many ways after that. Little by little it did and when I asked for something you gave it from your heart. It may not have been what I was seeking but it was given in different ways. It took me dear Father so much time that I wasted to see how wonderful you have graced my life in numerous ways. And to think all I had to do was ask in faith. That now when I ask for something, I look forward to receiving your love and response. You never disappoint in answering, and if I am disappointed it is my selfishness in what I was seeking. You know dear Father, it's like receiving gifts for no special reason, that's how delighted I am when I asked and you gave. But I also on occasion do not receive, and those are the times when I do not merit a response, a time when sin may have darkened my door. Dear Father I pray to always keep my own door from being closed to you, to keep sin away so that I may do your will. May my hearts desire be to receive your generous love. Amen

No comments: