Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Martha and Mary

Now it came to pass as they went, that he entered into a certain town: and a certain woman named Martha, received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sitting also at the Lord's feet, heard his word. But Martha was busy about much serving. Who stood and said: Lord, hast thou no care that my sister hath left me alone to serve? speak to her therefore, that she help me.

And the Lord answering, said to her: Martha, Martha, thou art careful, and art troubled about many things: But one thing is necessary. Mary hath chosen the best part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Luke 10:38-42 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father you have blessed my life to see how much I too was once a Martha and now am like Mary. Where I too prefer to sit at the foot of your Son and listen to him. How I recall my own folly in saying why don't they help with the dishes, or help with serving. How ungrateful I was for the very fact that I was able to do such a thing, serve others and take care of the work so they could rest. Your Word has taught me dear Father to be gracious in all my undertakings and not grumble when chores need to be done. To do them in the spirit of good will, with you in mind, that this is the best place to be. I have learned to place myself at your feet and listen intently to your will in my life. May I continue to live in a way that is pleasing to you dear Father and chose the best part of all, that of resting in you. Amen

No comments: