Tuesday, November 06, 2007

What is My Excuse

When one of them that sat at table with him, had heard these things, he said to him: Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God. But he said to him: A certain man made a great supper, and invited many. And he sent his servant at the hour of supper to say to them that were invited, that they should come, for now all things are ready. And they began all at once to make excuse. The first said to him: I have bought a farm, and I must needs go out and see it: I pray thee, hold me excused. And another said: I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to try them: I pray thee, hold me excused. And another said: I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. And the servant returning, told these things to his lord. Then the master of the house, being angry, said to his servant: Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the feeble, and the blind, and the lame. And the servant said: Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the Lord said to the servant: Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
But I say unto you, that none of those men that were invited, shall taste of my supper.
Luke 14:15-24 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father I am reminded of the times I made excuses not to come when you called. Just as when my mother would call us in for dinner when we were kids, how we would hide and refuse to hear, all because we wanted to keep playing. But once we came in we would often find ourselves punished for our wild natures. It was out of love for us that we were disciplined for disobeying when called. After all, there was a lot of work in preparing the meal in the first place. The same can be said of us too when you lovingly call us to come to dinner. In this we sometimes make excuses not to go to Mass and dine at the banquet table, yet you still love us. I tend to think that it is also our hearts you call and when we don't come to you when you touch us, especially when we proclaim that we are yours in the first place, it's no wonder you seek those who are poor, blind, lame. They tend to be more grateful for the food that you supply them, because they have gone so long without. Can we who have lived in faith all our lives possibly be the same ones who turn away and make excuses when you call us to come and dine at your banquet table. Is it because we have grown so accustomed to routine that we took the one source of life from it. Next time the prompting to come when called will spur a bigger desire to come and do your will oh Lord, to know that you are calling me to come and dine at the great banquet table in the kingdom of God. Amen

No comments: