Monday, November 05, 2007

Whom Shall the Invitation Go To

And he said to him also that had invited him: When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, nor thy kinsmen, nor thy neighbours who are rich; lest perhaps they also invite thee again, and a recompense be made to thee.
But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, and the blind;
And thou shalt be blessed, because they have not wherewith to make thee recompense: for recompense shall be made thee at the resurrection of the just.
Luke 14:12-14 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father we have forgotten this very thing. How we invite selected people to dine with us out of the very scene we just read about, to get an invitation back. What is amazing in this is our ability to go around saying afterward, oh, guess what, I was invited to dine at so and so's house. All to make ourselves look good in others eyes. But Jesus knows our hearts and the very reason for his saying how blessed we would be when we invite those who cannot repay us in return. It's in the kindness we show others, not in our selfish ways of seeking something we do not deserve. Dear Father you make the way clear to me, to keep charity in my heart for others and not seek recompense for an act of kindness done for another. With this in mind do I do all I can to help another when I know they are living on dire straits and the means of support nearly gone. Have I reached out to them when I know them or do I hold out for those I know will repay me in kind. If that's the case then I would have to say I have a selfish heart then. May your love guide me on my journey and let it bring healing in areas of my life that are not in harmony with your will. Amen

No comments: