Saturday, November 03, 2007

Where Shall I Sit

And it came to pass, when Jesus went into the house of one of the chief of the Pharisees, on the sabbath day, to eat bread, that they watched him.

And he spoke a parable also to them that were invited, marking how they chose the first seats at the table, saying to them: When thou art invited to a wedding, sit not down in the first place, lest perhaps one more honourable than thou be invited by him: And he that invited thee and him, come and say to thee, Give this man place: and then thou begin with shame to take the lowest place. But when thou art invited, go, sit down in the lowest place; that when he who invited thee, cometh, he may say to thee: Friend, go up higher. Then shalt thou have glory before them that sit at table with thee. Because every one that exalteth himself, shall be humbled; and he that humbleth himself, shall be exalted.

Luke 14:1, 7-11 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father your sons words are so true. I've wondered myself at times if I haven't placed importance on myself and put my person at a higher table than I should be at. But then I recall recently a gathering where I knew not where to sit, so my seat was farthest away and alone. But a kind and generous person had called me to sit at their table, so I would not sit alone. They were the makings of the group or part of the head of them. For me it was then an honor to dine among them, for I felt accepted in those moments. I am humbled by your words and from this I have chosen the lesser place so I may not place myself above my worth. That is your place dear Father to be at the head of all things and where I sit or stand among you is in your hands. May I continue to do your will and keep myself from placing myself in a greater place and let you chose for me my place. Amen

No comments: