Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Loaves and Fish

Wednesday of the First Week of Advent


And when Jesus had passed away from thence, he came nigh the sea of Galilee. And going up into a mountain, he sat there. And there came to him great multitudes, having with them the dumb, the blind, the lame, the maimed, and many others: and they cast them down at his feet, and he healed them: So that the multitudes marvelled seeing the dumb speak, the lame walk, and the blind see: and they glorified the God of Israel. And Jesus called together his disciples, and said: I have compassion on the multitudes, because they continue with me now three days, and have not what to eat, and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way. And the disciples say unto him: Whence then should we have so many loaves in the desert, as to fill so great a multitude? And Jesus said to them: How many loaves have you? But they said: Seven, and a few little fishes. And he commanded the multitude to sit down upon the ground.
And taking the seven loaves and the fishes, and giving thanks, he brake, and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the people. And they did all eat, and had their fill. And they took up seven baskets full, of what remained of the fragments

Matthew 15:29-37 (Douay-Rheims Bible)

Prayer Reflection

Dear Father how many in the time of this reading had been cured and still witnessed more of your Sons healing grace. Jesus gave us much to ponder on this day. He fed many also so they would have strength after going without for a few days. I think about how much we have and fill our bellies to overflowing and there are many who would eat dirt just to stop the pains of hunger. Jesus out of pity performed a beautiful miracle for those who came to him, to listen to His Words, to be healed from their problems. We go to Mass and do the same, we hear His Word and He feeds us, but we don't have the same pity for those who have no food. Jesus not only fed them spiritual food but he fed them food to live on. Can I do no less when another is without and offer them food. Can I give them the faith I have when I see them hunger for God too. Do I extend the love in my heart and give them love in return when they look downtrodden and filthy. How may I serve them dear Father with love as you love me. May I give more of myself to those who are less fortunate and give without seeking anything in return from you. Amen

No comments: