Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed

Jesus said to the crowds:
"Everything that the Father gives me will come to me,
and I will not reject anyone who comes to me,
because I came down from heaven not to do my own will
but the will of the one who sent me.
And this is the will of the one who sent me,
that I should not lose anything of what he gave me,
but that I should raise it on the last day.
For this is the will of my Father,
that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him
may have eternal life,
and I shall raise him on the last day."

John 6:37-40

Reflection:
Powerful words Jesus speaks of in today's Gospel. He came down from heaven to do the Father's will not his own. But his statement "he would not lose anything of what he gave him," reminds me of when we are entrusted with something special to guard and protect.

God entrusted our care to Jesus, and Jesus out of his love for his Father will not lose what was given to him. We are that special to Jesus. He would eventually die for us to show us how far he would go to keep us safe from evil. Would we go to such lengths to safeguard what was given to us. Some would, but for material safekeeping.

People fight to keep the land they live on, they fight their neighbors for more. Yet this land was here before we existed, and we sell it just to live on it, even though God gave it to us free. The power of greed. This is our way of not losing what was entrusted to us from God, making sure no one else can get it. It's the same with a lot of other things, except for what is important.

In some countries we sell the children, just so we can put food in our mouths. All over the world we kill the children, just so we will not be burdened. We kill for body parts, making people disappear. We do so much that does not keep us close to Jesus. It just shows how much we reject him then. But Jesus still cares about us and will continue to find us even when we place ourselves out of his sight.

We were entrusted to him and he will not lose what was given to him. And since we are the ones who put ourselves away from him, when we die, he still raises us up.

Even if it is to purge ourselves of our foolishness by going to Purgatory first before we can see God, the one who created all things.

No comments: