Thursday, September 27, 2007

Herod's Doubt

Now Herod, the tetrarch, heard of all things that were done by him; and he was in a doubt, because it was said By some, that John was risen from the dead: but by other some, that Elias had appeared; and by others, that one of the old prophets was risen again. And Herod said: John I have beheaded; but who is this of whom I hear such things? And he sought to see him.
Luke 9:7-9 (Douay-Rheims)

Prayer

Dear Father I pray to you for the doubt that occasionally bombards my soul. I have read of Herod's doubt and found myself thinking also about Jesus and his own death and resurrection. How I tend to doubt the very mystery of His rising. Yet I know deep in my heart the truth of it all. That Jesus died to save me from a fate worse than death. Can I see the example that is set before me to put my complete trust in Jesus. To know that John came before to announce His coming, it's no wonder that Herod was doubtful. After all he too wanted to see with his own eyes that John was dead. In a way don't I also want to see Jesus, to know that he is alive and not dead. In the beauty of your love dear Father, you have shown me how truly alive Jesus is in the Eucharist. Where the Lamb has shed his blood to free us. May I come to understand the power of your divine love for me in the Eucharist where you speak to my heart. Amen

No comments: