Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Being of Service

But which of you having a servant ploughing, or feeding cattle, will say to him, when he is come from the field: Immediately go, sit down to meat: And will not rather say to him: Make ready my supper, and gird thyself, and serve me, whilst I eat and drink, and afterwards thou shalt eat and drink? Doth he thank that servant, for doing the things which he commanded him? I think not. So you also, when you shall have done all these things that are commanded you, say: We are unprofitable servants; we have done that which we ought to do.
Luke 17:7-10 (Douay-Rheims Bible)

Prayer

Dear Father I may not have been a servant to another as this relates but with family it is easy to understand. How doing outside work and coming in finds a meal prepared and ready to eat. Then on the other hand it is when we come home from a long day at work and find someone asking what are you going to make for supper. We encounter these scenarios in our own lives without realizing how we have lived this Gospel message. It's when we serve our families, friends, spouses that sometimes we do for others without rest or payment. We are then unprofitable servants, but doing what was commanded and doing it with love. As children we grow up learning how to serve, learning how to live and learning how to survive on our own to take care of others. We are taught to serve one another. May my journey with you Lord find fulfillment in my serving those who are near and dear to me as well as those who I do not know, for my profit is not of this earth but of eternal happiness. Amen

No comments: